Saturday, May 17, 2014

Hop Against Homophobia & Transphobia

Today we mark the start of International Day Against Homophobia & Transphobia. First, a shout out to Erica, Cherie, Norma, K-Lee and Embry for organizing this worthy hop. A hop that will hopefully bring a better perspective and help eradicate discrimination against the LGBTQ community.


Fact~ Eight of ten LGBT students have been verbally harassed at school
Fact~ Four of ten LGBT students have been physically harassed at school
Fact~ One of five have been physically assaulted at school

Alarming statistics. School should be a safe haven for kids not a hostile environment where trying to find your place in the world causing heart ache and pain. Many organizations are out there to help LGBTQ students~ 
It Gets Better Project is one of the organizations. 

As a high school teacher, I challenged my juniors and seniors to create a 30-second PSA on any topic related to our class. One of the groups decided to promote Bullying Awareness with a focus on LGBTQ and the It Gets Better Project. Unfortunately I can't show the video, (privacy factor), but I can tell you this.  It was 30 seconds that changed the life of the student creators, the class, and all the kids who help with the PSA. The message was powerful. clear and concise. 
We WILL stand up to bullying and it DOES get better! A prouder moment in my career, I could not find.
Let's put a stop to bullying against the LGBTQ community. Stand proud and shout out~ Discrimination is WRONG~ Be proud of who you are, no matter what! My students may not have changed the world, but they did bring awareness to the struggles of LGBTQ youth and maybe made a small difference in one of their classmates lives. I like to think so.

As a thank you for taking a stand and stopping by S.E.X. leave a comment, say hi or tell me what you've done to promote LGBTQ Bullying Awareness. At the end of the hop I'll pick two winners~ each will receive a copy of my new 1Night Stand, Tropical Paradise and a $5 GC to Amazon.



















Remember to stop by all the great authors and bloggers for a chance to meet some wonderful people, win some great prizes but most importantly promote LGBTQ awareness.


29 comments:

  1. Thank you for the interesting facts. I wasn't aware of those statistics. I love that you challenged your students to do a PSA. It's creative and really gets them to think and do research.

    humhumbum AT yahoo DOT com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to challenge my students everyday. I figured if I harp enough something will eventually sink in.
      Thanks for stopping by.
      Evelise

      Delete
  2. I am trying to promote awareness by writing blog posts and even books on this issue.

    Thanks for the interesting blog post.

    ladyunwritten[AT]gmail[DOT]com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spreading the word anyway we can is a plus! Thanks for stopping by.
      Evelise

      Delete
  3. I try to promote GLBT awareness on my FB

    leetee2007@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have shared this blog hop on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest!
    This is very moving for me. Just lost my sister who was a lesbian. I miss her so much. No matter what people said to her about being with someone of the same sex she proudly held her head up. She was a great inspiration to all of us. This is a wonderful blog post and hop <3
    kittyissweet@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kitty~ Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to read my post. I am about your sister. No one should be judged based on who they love.
      Evelise

      Delete
  5. Fabulous post. Thanks so much for being part of the HAHAT this year. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the post! Thanks for the chance :)

    crystal_2_18(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post & giveaway.
    rockybatt@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for participating! I think it's just good to counteract stereotypes and insensitive comments whenever possible...

    vitajex(at)AoL(Dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for participating in this great hop :)

    penumbrareads(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the information and hop.
    cvsimpkins@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've donated to the Trevor Project to help them fight bullying. Thanks for participating.

    lenagrey@iam@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the It Gets Better campaign. Thanks for the post. I'm a participant so don't enter me in the drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post! My sons school has the 'Be a Buddy NOT a Bully' campaign and we've made T-shirts.

    raynman1979(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would have loved to see the video! Thanks for the post. caddyauthor(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with caddy but I understand why you couldn't. thanks for being part of the hop and for your info. rojoroaors@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. This was a great post. Thanks!

    MHupp20032003(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  17. As long as indiviuals keep standing up against bullying and bigotry, it WILL keep getting better. Thanks for joining us, Evelise.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for the post and it's wonderful that your students made a video and care about their fellow pupils.

    ShirleyAnn(at)speakman40(dot)freeserve(dot)co(dot)uk

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello how are you?
    lol!! Thanks for being apart of the hop!
    red_tigergirl2(At)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi! Thanks for taking part in the hop and for the chance to enter! wendynjason04@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I enjoyed your post. Thanks for being part of the hop.
    sstrode at scrtc dot com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations to Kitty and Michelle! An email has been sent.

    Evelise

    ReplyDelete