Welcome to the Boston Rebels.
A rookie hockey player discovers that falling in love can be every bit as life-changing as being drafted into the NHL. A summer fling between a hockey star and his best friend's brother turns into something neither man can walk away from. A surprise child brings two men together in the middle of a heartbreaking custody battle. And as Christmas approaches, a second chance at first love collides with danger, secrets, and a snowstorm that changes everything.
From the bright lights of professional hockey to small-town cabins buried in snow, the men of the Boston Rebels are about to learn that love rarely follows the rules.
Featuring found family, first love, second chances, best friends to lovers, best friend's brother, single parent romance, emotional journeys, unforgettable characters, and all the hockey action readers love, this collection includes the first four books in the bestselling Boston Rebels series:
Top Shelf was a wonderful start to authors RJ
Scott & V.L. Locey’s newest hockey series, Boston Rebels. What I
loved most about the collaboration of these two lovely ladies, was they never
forget the crossing of other books in their series and always pay close
attention to details.
Xander, a
hockey player for the Rebels, finally came out as bi. Mason was brother to Eli,
Xander’s best friend and teammate. Once the news came to light, Mason decided
to take charge of his unrequited love for Xander and move things along.
I loved the
banter between oh so serious Xander and his teammates. All a little bit quirky,
each man added a nuance that enhanced the storyline. Finally able to be
himself, Xander was unrepentant once he allowed his feelings for Mason to come
forth. Together the men made a striking couple.
At first, I
thought Mason would be whiny and needy, but I was so happy to find that I
adored him from the start, as he truly loved Xander from afar, and when the
opportunity arose to explore his feelings, he did so with maturity. Don’t get
me wrong, there were very funny laugh out loud parts to the story, which kept
this reader intrigued and amused.
Back
Check by Scott and Locey was an experience in love and
life. Isaac raised his toddler niece from the time her mother- his sister- passed
away shortly after giving birth. A wild child, Sophie’s mother never named the
father, leaving Isaac to shoulder the load of raising a sick child.
Enter
Joachim, hockey player who happened to be Sophie’s paternal unit and a life
saving match for the bone marrow needed for Sophie to survive her illness and
lead a happy and fruitful life.
While
the hockey was not an integral part of the overall story, it kept with the
arching theme of the series. But the bad-boy, struggling hockey player theme
was well done and enhanced the characters. While Joachim struggled with his
addiction, his desire to be a father never wavered. In fact, he was relentless
which sometimes came out as over the top, yet the author’s characterization
kept his overzealousness in check. Isaac’s handling of Sophie was endearing and
his love for her radiated throughout. Once he and Joachim got their act
together the two men created a new family and bond which transformed the story.
I must admit that when I read
a Scott & Locey book about hockey, I’m hoping for more hockey. Snowed did not give a lot of hockey but delivered drama. Kyle,
goalie for the Rebels was hurt in an unfortunate accident- sidelined- he headed
back to Canada to the small town he grew up in and the man he left behind.
Christian loved Kyle and hockey, but his life kept him in Canada until Kyle
showed up on doorstep in the middle of a snowstorm.
Snowed was an interesting read and kept me on the edge of my
seat. I enjoyed the drama and intrigue, but I think I would have like the book
even more if it wasn’t part of a hockey series. It was more of a drama.
Did I love the book? Yes!
Did I want more hockey? Yes,
if it is in a hockey trope.
But again, did I love the
drama? Yes!

No comments:
Post a Comment